Who doesn't love a warming mug of hot chocolate? Well, when you're living a sugar free, healthier life, you don't have to miss out! You can still enjoy one (or two or three in fact) if you use this recipe.
I never like to cut your favourite foods out, instead, I help you find better alternatives so that you can enjoy these foods daily instead of just once a week. Win-win!
This is the perfect example. This turmeric hot chocolate is totally sugar-free, low carb and low calorie, so you can sip on it with absolutely zero guilt.
I'm also a huge advocate for anti-inflammatory foods, as our western lifestyles are pro-inflammatory. Ongoing, chronic inflammation increases your risk for heart disease, cancer, metabolic syndrome, Alzheimer's and various degenerative conditions. Therefore, anything that helps to reduce inflammation is of benefit to us.
I strongly recommend that you have a read of this link to learn about turmeric and it's anti-inflammatory benefits.
But I'll focus on the recipe here...
Let's just say that you'll be benefiting your body big time by sipping on this indulgent cup of goodness.
Guilt Free, Anti-inflammatory Turmeric Hot Chocolate
- 1 tbsp organic, raw cacao powder (I use Loving Earth)
- 1 tsp powdered stevia or a few drops liquid stevia
- 1/4 tsp turmeric latte mix (or your own homemade blend - see below)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup heated or frothed unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1. Boil the kettle
2. In a mug, place the cacao, turmeric mix or homemade blend, cinnamon and stevia
3. Pour over boiling water and mix to combine. Then top with the almond milk and stir together.
Top with a sprinkle of extra cinnamon and cacao powder!
It's as simple as that.
If you want to buy a turmeric latte mix, these are my "go-to's"
You can find both of these at most IGA's now!
If you want to make the turmeric blend yourself, don't forget to add pepper. Pepper is vital as it enables the powerful bioactive component in the turmeric (curcumin) to be absorbed.
- 4 teaspoons ground Turmeric Powder
- 2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground Cardamon
- ½ teaspoon ground Nutmeg
- 6 pinches finely ground Black Pepper
- 1¼ teaspoon Bourbon Vanilla
Combine all of these ingredients together and store in an airtight container.