Waking up with abs but feel pregnant by the afternoon? You're not alone. While this problem is extremely common among women, it's not necessarily normal and shouldn't be happening.
I experienced this issue for 7 years and assumed it would be with me for life but it is definitely fixable. You need to be your own detective and get to the bottom of what's causing the constant bloat. For me, addressing my food sensitivities and working with different probiotics to correct the balance of my gut bacteria has done wonders.
Now, while it is a long - term issue to work on and solve, there are a definitely a few simple things that you can do today that will help to keep you feeling "flat-stomached" and bloat free.
1. Avoid these common 'bloat-causing' foods
- Gluten found in bread, pasta, crackers, grains (except for quinoa and brown rice)
- Dairy (milk, cream and yogurt). Cheese can usually be ok if eaten in small amounts
- Beans and lentils
- Large amounts of cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and brussel sprouts
- Fried or spicy foods
- Sugar-free foods (like sweetened drinks, lollies or chewing gum)
- Large amounts of garlic or onion if you're sensitive to FODMAP foods.
2. Choose your drink wisely
You really want to avoid anything that has bubbles. This will create gas in your stomach and result in bloating and pain. So, avoid champagne, carbonated water, beer and ciders.
3. Physical activity
Try to move around and go for a little walk after your meals. Physical activity can help release trapped gas and pain.
4. Take one of these two things before meals
- Apple cider vinegar: Dilute 1 tablespoon in water and drink right before your meals
- Activated charcoal: This is an over-the-counter medication that helps eliminate gas trapped in your colon. Take tablets right before and one hour after your meals.
5. Have the right medication on hand
Now, medication is only going to mask the symptoms, and it's not a long-term solution to bloating. However, when the bloating strikes out of the blue and you're at a function in a tight dress - you need some quick-acting help stat. Carry in your bag...
- An anti-gas medication that helps to reduce the size of the gas bubbles in your colon to make them dissipate and pass through easier. Common ones are made of simethicone and go by the names of Gas-x, Mylanta-Gas, Phazyme and De-gas.
- A medication that helps to stop cramps and pain like buscopan.
You may need both of these or just one.
I hope this helps you! Like I said, bloating can be a long-term issue to work on, and getting to the root cause of your own personal situation can take time.
If you seem to be bloated all the time and can't work out what the cause is, I can definitely help you. Please see my services page for more information and contact me. I would love to help you.
Enjoy your weekend!