What an amazing low carb, deceivingly healthy, weight loss supporting meal this is!
It's one of those "have your cake and eat it too" kind of meals that I love. In fact, most of the meals I cook are like this.
Who else loves to eat comfort foods with zero guilt?!
- Paleo (unless you add parmesan)
- Low carb
- Keto friendly
- Gluten free
- Low calorie
- Extremely nutrient dense!
The pesto sauce can also be kept in the fridge and used in salads, with eggs for breakfast, on toast or drizzled over veggies. It's so versatile! And the avocado makes it so nice and creamy.
So here it is...
Total cooking time: 10 minutes
Calories / serve: 285 kcal (without parmesan or vegan cheese).
- 1 medium - large avocado
- 1 cup of kale leaves or baby spinach
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Juice of juice of half a lemon
- 1 big bunch of fresh basil (about 30-40g)
- 3 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 pack slendier konjac noodles
- 1 large zucchini
- Heat a small frypan on medium, then throw in the pine nuts and toast them, stirring constantly until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Place 2 tbsp of the toasted pine nuts along with everything else in a food processor and blend until smooth. Taste, and then season with a generous amount of salt and pepper until you like it.
- If using the sauce to make a low carb pesto pasta... rinse the slim noodles and make your zucchini noodles (with a machine or a regular hand held potato peeler).
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Once hot, add a little more olive oil (about 1 tsp) and then throw in noodles and 1/3 of the pesto sauce. Toss until all combined and heated through! Also stir through 1 tbsp parmesan cheese if your dietary requirements allow for it! Use 1 tbsp of almond, macadamia or cashew cheese if you're vegan!
- Plate up and top with extra salt, pepper, parmesan cheese, remaining pine nuts and a few leaves of fresh basil!
* You don't have to have the slim pasta if you dont like it. Feel free to just have more zucchini! Zucchini is also super low in calories and carbs. So replace the slim noodles with another 1/2 of a zucchini if you like!
Give it a try and please leave a comment if you do and tell me how it turns out.
If you like the sound of this quick, guilt free, weight loss supporting recipe, make sure you check out the rest of my blog posts.
I also have a heap more in my database that I use to construct personalised meal plans and recipes bundles for my clients. If you would like to know more about these services, please click here!