The majority of the granola's that are available on our supermarket shelves are advertised as being 'healthy' however most of them are definitely not. Lots are highly processed and contain added sugars...it is virtually impossible to find a sugar free granola.
Granola's that are sold in health food stores are often sweetened with honey or some other form of 'naturally occurring' sugars, which are better alternatives to the highly processed white sugar as they come along with some nutrients, however they are STILL sugar!!
So if you are a sugar free eater, like me, you want a granola that is TOTALLY sugar free... which is where this recipe comes in!
This granola is ALL nuts (no grains, no fruit, no sugar) which makes it GLUTEN FREE, and it is full of GOOD fats and protein. It is incredibly tasty and still sweet as it's sweetened with stevia (a safe, healthy, zero calorie sweetener)
Sprinkle it over Greek yogurt and berries for the perfect breakfast, snack or dessert :)
- 2 cups of nuts and seeds of your choice (I use almonds, hazelnuts, brazil nuts, pecans, pepitas and macadamias)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 heaped teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon stevia powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat fan forced oven to 180 degrees Celsius
2. Line a baking tray with baking paper
3. Chop all nuts roughly and spread onto the baking paper along with the coconut
4. In a small bowl combine the coconut oil, stevia, vanilla and cinnamon and melt in the microwave
5. Pour the melted coconut mixture over the nuts and move it all around with a spoon so that the nuts are evenly coated
6. Place in the oven for around 10 minutes (watch carefully so that they don't burn!) You just want them to be lightly roasted! Then remove from oven, allow to cool and place in a container of your choice!
*** Think of a small handful as a serve.. the equivalent to about 8-10 whole nuts